söndag 12 oktober 2008

Story of stuff

Today I watched the video presentation named "The story of stuff" by Annie Leonard, the purpose of the video is to let us the consumers get an revelation that we can´t keep the same pace of our consumption, or else the world will get inhabitable for our children to live on.

It´s scary to hear that the US has 5 % of the earth´s population and uses 30 % of the whole worlds natural resources. More scary is that 99% of the stuff you and I buy today are garbage in 6 month.

But what can we do to not let the world be inhabitable for our children to live on? Many things, but keep buying useless stuff is not one of them! Recycling? Sure but today it´s not enough.

We have to let the government, not only here in Sweden but the governments and corporations in each and every country in the whole world get the same revelation as I did and what you get after watching the video by Annie. And then maybe we can do something before it´s all to late.

5 kommentarer:

Maria sa...

Yes, it is scary that 99 % of the things we buy go in the garbage in 6 month. That really got me thinking over my purchases.

M Bygghammar sa...

Very true my friend, the main responsibility lies on the big corporations and the government. Still I think we as consumers have to do our part and be more skeptic and restrictive when we shop. We are the ones who create the demand even though the big guys are trying to guide us where they want. see ya

Iliana Zaharieva sa...
Den här kommentaren har tagits bort av skribenten.
Iliana Zaharieva sa...

I agree with you! The solution is in the governments hands. If every country in the world would put a bit value of this problem, it sure would end up in better results.

The garbage speed is at same lavel as our bying speed. We have to calm down a bit:)

kristina sa...

Hi!

I don't think there is one sollution to this huge problem. I think we all have to work together and start a worldwide collaboration to stop mistreating our planet the way we are doing today. Everyone has to do something, from recycling and changing our consumer behaviour to government and corporations that can use their power and authority to affect us in the right direction.

/Kristina